Thursday, January 21, 2010

2 States : Review


Well the Synopsis says it all...
----------------------------------------------------------
Love marriages around the world are simple:

Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy.
They get married.

In India, there are a few more steps:

Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy.
Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl.
Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family.
Boy's family has to love girl's family.
Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I was a little reluctant to pick this one up after "The 3 Mistakes of My Life". I'm not Chetan Bhagat's greatest fan, but this book is a light, quick, fun read and is certainly better than Three Mistakes of My Life, but not the best. The story is like a typical bollywood masala film. I felt like, I need to read some light and easy book after a long stint of series of heavy and dense books. So, the change was welcome. Just finished it in 2 sittings.The story is about Krish and Ananya from two very different communities who are in love with each other and their struggle in convincing their community-conservative families for marriage. Liked Ananya's character - intelligent, bold yet caring, capricious and a feminist. She is super hot from Chetan description. I do not want this review to be a rant and a hate post for an author who pretty much got me glued to my seat till i finished the book. For the people who want to read..The book is a light read..While reading it you  may feel as if you are watching a bollywood movie.Its funny at places.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this book is good time pass. I finished it on my way from delhi to nellore in train. When I started this book, it seems 2 b interested... after few pages got bored then got frustated. The sub-title of this book is "the story of my marriage", but the book is like a script for an indian movie. Either he should write autobiography or some created story, But he mixed both. He better to write scripts for movies not novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a typical bollywood masala film" -- thats exactly how I felt. After I finished the book, I read a few articles related to the book & Chetan Bhagat (basically to find out how much of it is a reality). I could only find out that its a mix of incidents from his life + fiction (to sell it I guess).

    ReplyDelete