Monday, February 8, 2010

Google’s Superbowl Add

 

I have no idea what this add is supposed to convince me of? What is it trying to show off? Is it trying to create the brand impression on me? I probably don’t need one. Google advertising that they are a search engine in 2010 is like Antarctica taking out an ad letting people know it’s cold down there. If you don’t know that Google’s the magic answer machine yet, you probably don’t own a computer. It was an odd sign of weakness, in my mind at least, that they felt they needed to do this. I mean for Nexus one, its ok but for Google Search, come on. They are trying to cash the power of emotional design commercials by trying to  connect with the audience through humor or storytelling.  The Google ad could be compelling, fun and educational for non-techies. I’d love to see some one from Microsoft or Yahoo take this commercial and do a side-by-side split-screen demo with Bing and Yahoo search.

4 comments:

  1. Here lies the answer

    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/love-and-super-bowl.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally Google may end up showing what they want to show rather than what user want's to see. I agree google/any body tries to satisfy maximum number of people, although it pinches others. You could have remembered "HDFC 40% cash withdrawal", Which is actually extra click for people who do not want to set default money. Hoping google will give some levers in the future for user to control how much google should interpret/over interpret the query.

    ReplyDelete
  3. every would have heard of Google Buzz which is being talked much in last few days. It is just allowing status update from Gmail, nothing more than that. Yahoo already started it 2 years back. These day's I see some users just using google new features/tools just which blind belief that "If Google developed it, it must be good. Even if I do not understand how to use it, it's my fault as a user, I have to get used". Please don't judge things too much with brand

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Preeti: Thanks for dropping by, I do follow that blog, The views expressed are just my personal reactions to the add.

    @Satti:Can't agree more, I am scared that they are just going to take users for granted. Google is not a 'site' anymore, It is the internet for most people.

    ReplyDelete