Friday, November 20, 2009

Google Chrome OS Revealed



Now that Google Chrome OS is revealed which is nothing but an OS 100% in a browser, do we really care about it. It means you won't be able to just download Chrome OS and go, you'll have to buy a chrome OS device approved by Google. This looks quite scary to me. Seems that this model works quite well for Apple, but to Google, I am quite not sure. Google one will have clean integration with Google Voice, maps, mail, etc… That will be a difficult choice if you just intend to use the machine for browsing. They pretty much admit that Chrome OS is not intended for offline usage. What about third party apps, I am sure they don't want thirdparty apps to run in their sandbox. I suppose Firefox (or Adblock) won’t be on the approved software list.

Though it all looked a bit odd to me, I liked how they attached a camera and the contents opened up in a new window. If that works with iPod, iPhone, and a couple other popular devices, they have nailed a pretty good scenario. I also liked how opening a document opens gDocs. I would have loved to see that happen on Windows, where if I do not have office installed, double-clicking an office doc opens it in office live and lastly 7 seconds to boot.. seems pretty good to me.

Let's say I walk in to the store and there are two netbooks side by side. One is running Windows 7 and the other is running ChromeOS. What are the benefits to me as a consumer of one over the other? I definitely like playing with chrome OS, but it is not something which I need or something to rely upon. I want your opinion on this.

You can watch all demo videos over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment