Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Alchemist : A Review

I am a big fan of Paulo Coelho's work. I can say that he is my favorite author. I discovered this author when I visited my friend's house on a boring sunday, and since then I must admit that I am love in with his books. I finished this book in two sittings on the way to my hometown. This review has been long due now, almost two months.

The Alchemist is all about following your dream and about taking the risk of following your dreams, which is actually so difficult to do and there are very few people in this world who actually do, I mean risk it all, just to follow your heart and your dream. It was written from the point of view of a traveling shepherd, telling us how he dealt with problems he encountered through his journey. When he had dreams about a hidden treasure, he had to chose between living his normal, plain shepherd life, or to follow his heart and search for a treasure that he wasn't 100% sure that even existed. He decides to leave everything behind sells his flock of sheep and leaves Fatima, the beautiful girl he fell in love with. He was robbed at the beginning of his journey and recuperated by working with a crystal merchant. When he finally reached the pyramids in Egypt, where the treasured was buried, he was robbed again.While he was digging for the treasure he finally realized that the treasure that he traveled so far to find, was hidden in the place he started all along, There are a lot of hidden messages and themes here...one needs to be fully present to fully appreciate what Paulo Coelho is doing.

Some really good quotes in this book..

"when you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

"-What's the world's greatest lie? the boy asked, completely surprised. -It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie."

My Rating :

3 comments:

  1. Iam not a big fan of Paulo coehlo but I do agree that this a good novel and can strongly say that one can start reading novels with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a lot about this novel. But am too lazy to read a novel. Probably I will start with this. Thanks Rambabu...for leaking the story a bit. That creates curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Ramu, i agree with you as this was probably the best of paulo coelho till date. After reading his recent novels, as an author he dont have the novelty or variety in terms of story telling and his way of story telling is very boring at times. After reading first two novels of him, one would feel the same way of story telling in each and every book and its very frustrating at times.

    ReplyDelete