Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Kite Runner: A Review

This novel fascinated me. What a powerful story. I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did when I read the first few pages. But I am glad I read the whole of it.  I loved the protrayal of the Afghani culture, the relationship between a father and a son, friendship, betrayals, essence of humanity.It gives a deep insight into the recent history of Afghanistan,culture and differing ethnicities living there..It was moving, thought-provoking, and engrossing. It wasn't what I would call "action-packed", but I was overwhelmed with curiosity about the fates of the characters and that's what kept me reading.
The Kite Runner is about a young boy, Amir, growing up in a wealthy part of Kabul, Afghanistan, the only son of a popular and rich entrepenuer, who betrays his best friend and later has a chance to redeem himself. As his father's best friend, Rahim, says, "There's a way to be good again." The rest of the story follows Amir and how at the end of the book he goes back to Afganistan from his home in America to see his father's friend who tells Amir something he should have known his whole life.
Some Interesting quotes in this book..
"For you, a thousand times over."

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors."

"When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal a wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing."

"All my life, I'd been around men. That night, I discovered the tenderness of a woman."
My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Let me borrow this book from you and feel it myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you could, but the book is not with me now :)

    ReplyDelete