Saturday, September 19, 2009

Life of Pi : A Review


I read this book because it was recommended to me by a good friend. I had mixed fixed feelings about it. I'll admit that it took me a while to get into it.  The guy won't shut up about animals! There is no story, even when I read through the first half.The first chunk of this book does suck. About half way through I just wasn't sure if I could keep reading. But I'm actually glad that I did, because it really stretched my mind. I'm still not sure what it was all about!

It's about a teenage boy stranded in the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat with several animals. The ship Pi's family is riding on to Canada will sink. Pi will be  left  alone in the Pacific Ocean on a life raft with Bengal Tiger.  A boy, zebra, hyena, orangutan & tiger on lifeboat. The hyena kills the zebra and the orangutan, and the tiger kills the hyena. Tiger and boy remain in boat. It is a tale of survival and man’s interaction with himself and the wild. It is a lesson in zoology and spirituality. First few chapters seem to go nowhere,story falls in place later. Nice tall tale with a spiritual twist. I did NOT expect that ending. But it turned out to be a great book. Its about survival, faith, sanity, endurance. Makes me wonder how much have we got?

However it failed to impress me in few scenarios. When I read a book, I like to get sucked into the world. I don't want to constantly be reminded that I'm sitting in a location reading. I want to be with the characters. This book kept me at a distance.

Only one good quote to list here...

"When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling." -- Yann Martel, Life Of Pi

My Rating :



No comments:

Post a Comment